Cory F. Goriup
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1999
- Colgate University, Hamilton, New York
- B.A. - 1996
- Major: English
- Major: Political Science
Cory Frederick Goriup is a native of Massena, New York and now resides in Fairfax, Virginia. She joined our predecessor firm as an associate in 2001. Ms. Goriup serves on the Board of Directors for The Women’s Center in Vienna, Virginia and has served as an adjunct professor at the Washington College of Law at American University in Washington, D.C., where she taught family law.
Ms. Goriup graduated from Colgate University in Hamilton, NY in 1996 with a B.A. in English and Political Science. She graduated from the Washington College of Law at American University in 1999. During law school, Ms. Goriup was Co-Director of the Women's Law Association, a member of the Journal of Gender, Social Policy and the Law, and a student attorney with the Women and the Law Clinic. After completing law school, Ms. Goriup worked for the Virginia Legal Aid Society, Inc. in Suffolk, Virginia.
Ms. Goriup was admitted to the Virginia Bar in 2000. She is licensed to practice before all Virginia State Courts, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the Superior Court and the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. She has attained a reversal in the Virginia Court of Appeals.
Ms. Goriup is a member of the Virginia State Bar, the District of Columbia Bar, the Virginia Women's Attorneys Association, the American Bar Association, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, and the Fairfax Bar Association where she is involved with their pro-bono activities and services. Ms. Goriup practices in family law and civil litigation.
Case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case and do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by the lawyer.
- All Virginia state courts, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the Superior Court and the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.
- Family Law
- Civil Litigation
- Collaborative Law
Professional Associations Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Virginia Women's Attorneys Association, Member
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Circuit Court Committee, Member
Community Service and Honors
- AV-Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyer (Family Law)
- Best Lawyers in America for Family Law and PI, 2014
- Northern Virginia Pro Bono Law Center, Lawyer of the Year, 2014
- McBride v. McBride , 2004 Va. App. LEXIS 640
- Jordan v. Jordan , 2004 Va. App. LEXIS 132
- Johnson v. Johnson, 2006 Va. App. LEXIS 442
- McManus v. Neuschulz, 2002 Va. App. LEXIS 695
- Obtained a reversal in the Virginia Court of Appeals.
- Family Law Adjunct Professor, Washington College of Law, 2006-2007
Past Employment Positions
- Washington College of Law at American University, Adjunct Professor
- Virginia Legal Aid Society
Pro Bono Activities
- Fairfax Bar Family Law Assistance Project: Pro-bono Attorney
- Women's Center, Vienna, VA: Attorney Referral Network Volunteer
- Fairfax Bar Child Custody Mediation Project: Pro-bono Attorney